Friday, July 08, 2005

Not really interested?!?

I'm increasingly becoming frustrated with the man who is in charge of my student teaching. It doesn't help that I've lost all respect for him through the last two years I've had to take his class, and now he owns me for the entire next semester. So the way we set up student teaching is to divide it between a general music elementary class and a middle school band class. So I was able to set the elementary school class up pretty easily. The lady in charge of general music recommended one specific person and we set it up. This man didn't give any type of direction or give me any ideas about where to set up a middle school. With all the credit hours I was taking and everything that was going on, I never got to explore my options in that area. It also didn't help because I am fairly ignorant about the teachers in the area and what would be best. In this area, he would know better than I would, but he did nothing to help this search. So I sent him an e-mail recently concerning what was going on. Here's his response...

"The problem is, most potential supervising teachers in the instrumental area don't want a student teacher who is not really interested in that area. So, let me
know what you want me to do. You can't have your cake and eat it to."

Did I ever say that I wasn't interested in the area?!? This man is just clueless about me. I've written many posts on the subject and my thoughts on the subject, and how restrictive I beleive those programs are, but I never did say that I was not interested. I'm concerned about all levels within music programs. I want to find the best means possible for me to learn and improve music as a whole. For me, this starts at the elementary level. There may come a time that I understand what I need to at that level to move on and figure out the workings of middle school programs. Is it entirely possible for me to teach middle school band with the same passion that I have right now about general music. Of course. Just because I'm focussing on one aspect more than others doesn't mean I'm disinterested in that subject.

So he's taking my inconclusion of the subject thinking I'm disinterested in it, as opposed to my lack of knowledge who to do my student teaching under since he offered absolutely no guidance for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home