Friday, July 08, 2005

Old ladies playing games

I completely forgot to write about this, and it still deserves a place on my blog even though it was last week. I went an Orff Workshop this weekend. For those who wouldn't know what that means, it's basically a method of teaching children general music. We focused mainly on different types of games to promote movement while singing. So basically, for four hours we played a bunch of games that involved singing.

The funniest part of this was the game that was similar to duck-duck-goose. You can't imagine the sight I saw when two ladies, whose combined age is over 100, chase each other around this circle with grim determination on their faces that they're going to win.

It was a fun four hours, but I must admit to myself that I wouldn't consider this the best possible means to teach kids. I can't really go into too much at this point about the Orff method because I don't know how much is involved with its entirity. This summer, after I take the Level 1 Orff workshop, then I can begin to find strong and weak points about this method, and how I plan to use it. Fun, yes, but I don't see it to be too intellectually stimulating for kids. I would think that there would be more of a balance, even for elementary school. We'll find out just how involved it is afterwards I guess. This was just one element of Orff anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home