Friday, July 08, 2005

Music Major Rant

This is a topic that sadly enough only I would care about or even notice. I don't even think music majors would catch this as well as I would. My organist at church has the habit of adding notes during the hymns that aren't part of the hymns. Now this in and of itself isn't bothering to me. I do the same thing. What bugs the crap out of me is he adds thirds, too many of them. Any time there is a cadence he adds in an extra third. Do you realize how bad that sounds. Oh... the worst is when he's ending a piece, and like most things should end, they end in a perfect authentic cadence, but nnnnoooo... he has to add a third above it, do you realize how grating that is to the ears. Well, my ears anyway. This is the downside to being a music major with good ears, I catch way too much that should be ignored. It's so petty yet drives me up the wall. At least I can find the humor of how stupid I'm being when I think thoughts like this.

He did redeem himself though. We sang Ring Out Wild Bells, and I messed up in interpreting the timing on it, and in talking to him about it, he mentioned that if you take it at a much more accelerated pace it becomes a pirate song. It works really well to, listen it like that. I got a lot of amusement out of singing it to myself throughout church the rest of the day. Thankyou for sharing organist, you have redeemed yourself from your ungodly habit of adding thirds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home