Friday, July 08, 2005

Marching band serves a purpose

If there is one thing that almost any marching band member can do as far as a dance, it is the waltz. The hours spent learning how to keep your upper body from moving as you are while playing an instrument transfers quite well. We've already developed that framework more than any other group of people, well, except for maybe dancers. My sister and I were talking about the waltz in particular, which in and of itself is pretty sad, considering our history of dancing. But people who had danced with my sister were surprised that her 5'2/5'3 frame could take an exceptionally large first step without any difficulty at all, and without any of the bounce that you would expect to see from somebody of her small stature. I've only recently picked up dancing. Mainly because This Girl got me interested in it, and it could be a great tool for the classroom as well. The best dance I do is the waltz, there isn't even a contest with other types. I've got the rhythm down for any type of dance. That part is obviously the easiest for me. I'm fairly well-balanced which helps with learning the steps, and six years of soccer and eight years of marching band helps with that as well. So the next part is learning everything outside of the basic steps. The waltz seems to be the most structured of any of the types of dances and therefor the easiest one for me to pick up. My problem is that I know the basic steps and that's it. This Girl really can't teach me the guys part and I really don't have a chance to learn it. All that has to be done is show it to me, and I'll pick it up pretty quickly. After a couple of tries, I usually get this down, but I tend to forget them rather quickly. So hopefully I'll learn sometime. Bandjam better bring something with her to teach me when she comes home this summer. That would be fun, and I'll see if I can take you out contra dancing. I went English Country Line Dancing yesterday. I don't know if we'll be able to do that either when you come. I'd also really like to learn how to polka. That looks fun. This Girl is afraid to try it with me, because she doesn't really know it. The steps look pretty easy though. My mom was mentioning that my dad loved to do that. That would be fun to watch, but I don't think he's done it since his college days. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home